2 hrs 25 mins
1 hr 45 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This is from a menu for a Super Bowl party.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 red onions, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 yellow bell peppers, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups thick slices day-old bread, cubed
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 4 ounces prosciutto di Parma, diced
- 8 ounces raw sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup pecorino romano cheese, divided freshly grated
- 3/4 cup Italian parsley, divided freshly minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups non-meat spaghetti sauce (Hunts or Classico)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 hoagie rolls
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1Warm oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers and cook over high heat 4 minutes. Stir in minced garlic, cook 30 seconds. Simmer 5 minutes until cooked through. Remove from heat and season to taste.
- 2Soak bread in water to cover (5 minutes). Squeeze out excess water.
- 3Combine soaked bread, turkey, prosciutto, sausage, eggs, Parmigiano-Reggiano, nutmeg, 1/4 cup Pecorino, 1/4 cup parsley, and 1/4 cup olive oil in a large bowl and mix very gently with your hands.
- 4Season with salt and pepper. Form mixture into 2-inch balls. Place balls on a baking sheet, cover, and refrigerate 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
- 5Warm remaining 1/4 cup olive oil in a 12 inch heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat until almost smoking. Brown meatballs on all sides. Transfer to a plate and drain oil from pan.
- 6Add spaghetti sauce and wine to the pan and bring to a boil. Place meatballs in sauce and return to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- 7Slice open hero rolls and fill each with 3 meatballs and sauce. Top each with provolone cheese and some peperonata. Transfer sandwiches to a platter and serve with remaining Pecorino and parsley sprinkled over the top.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mario Batali's Turkey Meatball Parm Subs
Serving Size: 1 (576 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1028.0
- Calories from Fat 518
- Total Fat 57.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.4 g
- Cholesterol 242.8 mg
- Sodium 1371.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 60.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
prosciutto di Parma
pecorino romano cheese