Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
A great tasting steak with homemade marinade from Taste of Home magazine. Wonderful served on soft Kaiser rolls or submarine buns with some grilled onions, green peppers, or mushrooms on the side. Also makes good 'cheese steak' sandwiches by adding some fried onions on top and grated cheese to melt when serving. I usually serve this steak with Picnic Potato Salad (no mayonnaise) and cole slaw or a green salad for a great barbecue dinner. Have also served it with Debber's Zesty Potato Salad which is a great potato salad too.
- 1 (2 lb) beef flank steak
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Place flank steak in an 11 inch x 7 inch x 2 inch glass dish.
- Combine remaining ingredients; pour over meat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, turning once or twice. Remove meat; discard marinade.
- Grill over hot coals until meat reaches desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-well.
- Slice into thin strips across the grain to serve.
Thanks for this trip down "memory lane"! This is the same marinade my mom used to make back in the 1950's, before commercial BBQ sauces were popular. Of course, in those days, with 4 kids and 2 adults to feed, she used the cheaper chuck steak or round steak. This turned out very tender and flavorful. There was just enough tang without overpowering the meat flavor. Thanks for re-introducing me to this easy recipe!
While we enjoyed the flavor and the use of the flank steak we felt it was a tad bit tough to chew. I marinated it over night. The flavor was great and the concept was original. I toasted my kaiser roll and put some thinly slice Swiss cheese on top. I used Beer Braised Onions for my onions. Everything worked well together. Nothing else was added. Our only concern was the steak was tough to chew every once in a while. Thanks for posting. :)
Yes, this is a great tasting marinade, just as promised in the intro. I used my food saver to marinate the steak and left it in for about 8 hours. I grilled it on my gas grill and it came out wonderful. Very good steak.