Cook1 hr 20 mins
Not everyone loves Sprouts, but this family love them. This is a great make ahead recipe, and the longer this recipe is kept refrigerated the better it gets. Cooking time includes refrigeration time.
- Clean the Brussels sprouts and trim off the bottom 1/4 inch of their core, and remove any loose outer leaves. Cut a small slit in the bottom of each sprout with a small sharp knife.
- Fill a large bowl with cold water (add some ice if not cold enough) and set it aside. Bring an inch or so, of lightly salted water to boil in a large pot. Add the sprouts and cover. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the sprouts are just barely tender. Cut one in half to check. Drain the sprouts and plunge immediately into the bowl of cold water. Leave them there for a few moments then drain again.
- Cut the sprouts in half and place in a large bowl. Season sprouts to taste with salt and pepper, then toss with the lemon zest, shallots, parsley, and minced garlic.
- Make the dressing: Whisk (or shake in a jar) the olive oil and lemon juice together vigorously until thick and pale yellow.
- Pour the dressing over the sprouts and toss.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour -- but note that these are really a lot better, a day after cooking.
OK, just made these and placed them in the fridge to marinate. I will be back later to give final star rating, but I can tell you these are gonna be FAB! I did sub lemon pepper for the pepper, but otherwise made it as written. Be back tomorrow. . .OK, I'm back. LOVED these. The flavors work together very well. I actually warmed this up and it was good that way too. THANKS!
I really enjoy this under-rated veggie & when I can find a new way to prepare the sprouts, it's great! The lemon marinade really does a wonderful number on them! We both thank you for a great recipe keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Make My Recipe tag]