Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr
From the Australian Heritage Cookbook. Great dish that the whole family will enjoy. Old fashioned comfort food, full of flavour!
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, crushed
- 1 kg beef, cubed
- puff pastry sheet
- 1 egg, beaten
- Combine all ingredients for marinade in saucepan and bring to boil, allow to cool.
- Cut beef into bite size pieces, marinate for 24 hours in fridge.
- Drain meat and toss in flour.
- Brown in oil.
- Transfer to a saucepan and pour in the marinade.
- Simmer 1 hour or until tender.
- Pour into pie dish.
- Place pastry over the top.
- Glaze with egg.
- Bake at 200 degrees celcious for 20 minutes or until pastry is cooked.
- Serve with a leafy green salad or mashed potatoes.