Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables and I love preparing it this way. Preparation time includes chilling overnight.
- Bring about 1/2 cup water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Add asparagus, cover and cook until tender, about 6 minutes (Alternatively, you can use 1 1/2 cans (15 ounces each) whole green asparagus spears and skip this step.).
- Drain the asparagus and layer it in a shallow glass dish.
- Sprinkle each layer with crumbled tarragon leaves, pepper and garlic salt.
- Pour salad dressing and vinegar over asparagus, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve chilled asparagus on a bed of lettuce leaves.
- Top with a dollop of mayonnaise (which you can flavor with some of the dressing), if desired.