Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This comes from a friend who does catering. As this freezes well it is a good dessert to prepare ahead.
For the Pavlova Roll
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
For the Chocolate Cream
- 250 ml heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
For the Decoration (optional)
- 50 ml heavy cream
- 50 g dark chocolate
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Add the sugar gradually while continuing to beat with an electric beater until the mixture is very stiff. Don't hurry this step.
- Add the vanilla, cornflour and vinegar and beat again until well combined.
- Spread the mixture onto baking paper on a baking tray into a rectangle approx 11/2cm thick.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes at 200'C.
- While the roll is cooking, lay a clean dry teatowel ready on a flat surface.
- Remove Roll from oven (it should be light brown on the top) Lift up the paper and flip it upside down on to the teatowel.
- Carefully remove the paper and leave Pavlova to cool. (it will shrink slightly).
- Put cream, sieved cocoa and icing sugar in a bowl and beat until stiff.
- Spread over the cold Pavlova and roll up using the tea towel to help. (This can now be frozen wrapped in the teatowel on tray.).
- Bring the 50mls of cream to a boil, remove from heat and stir in the chopped chocolate.
- Stir to melt, cool slightly then drizzle over the Pavlova roll.
- Variation: Instead of the chocolate drizzle just pipe rosettes of cream along top of roll and sprinkle with grated chocolate and/or some chopped nuts or some glace cherries.