Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A good alternative to regular fried chicken. Margo likes to add a bit of chili powder to spice it up.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 (3 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, salt, paprika, oregano, sage and pepper.
- In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and water. Dip chicken in egg mixture; place in the bag, a few pieces at a time, and shake until coated.
- In electric skillet, heat 1 inches of oil to 375 Degrees.
- Fry chicken, a few pieces at a a time for 3-5 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy.
- Place in two ungreased 15in x 10in baking pans. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25-30 min or until chicken is tender and juices run clear.