Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
Quick and easy. This is from my Betty Crocker cookbook. It's a true favorite--kids like it too. Prep time includes the cooling of the cake.
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely crushed pretzels
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 (18 ounce) packagebetty crocker super moist white cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups nonalcoholic margarita mix
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 3 egg whites
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping
- lime zest (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans. ) grease bottom only of 13 x 9 x 2-inch rectangular pan with shortening and lightly flour.
- Mix pretzels, sugar, and butter in medium bowl. Sprinkle evenly on bottom of pan; press gently.
- Beat cake mix, margarita mix, oil, lime peel, and egg whites in a large bowl with a electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour batter over the pretzel mixture.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until light golden brown and top springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Frost with whipped topping and sprinkle with lime peel. Store covered in refrigerator.