Recipe by mare
this meat loaf is sooooooo delicious...very moist, and with delicious gravy...It got raves in the Southern U S Cuisine..I promise it will be the only one you will ever make.. ok...just wait till you taste this..
- 2 lbs ground chuck or 2 lbs ground round
- 6 slices fresh bread
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup cream
- 2 eggs, beaten with the milk or cream
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
Directions See How It's Made
- put meat, bread (broken up in large pieces), both eggs beaten with the milk, onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- in a large bowl.
- then mix about 1/2 the can of soup into meat mixture (if you are using 2 small cans mix 1 can into meat mixture).
- mix thoroughly with VERY clean hands.
- shape into a loaf (it will be soft, very mushy to be exact, a friend told me to say it is the consistancy of"tuna salad" or canned cat food") don't worry, it is a sort of flatter than most meat loafs.
- Mix about 1 cup of water with remaining soup (if you are using the large can) and pour over loaf (or mix 1 cup water with the other small can and pour over loaf).
- Bake at 375 degrees about 1 hour and 30 minutes (adding water periodically).
- if the gravy looks too light -- cook for another 30 minutes -- it will never be too dry -- but the gravy will have a little more flavor -- keep scrapping down the sides.
- It will be golden brown on top and you will have delicious gravy to use over rice or potatoes.
- It is the best meat loaf you will ever eat (it is VERY moist and so delicious).