Recipe by MexiPie
I revised a Cooking Light recipe to be a little healthier and it turned out pretty tasty! It tastes delicious with some butter or fig preserves as toppings. It's not as banana-ey as other recipes so you might want to add another super ripe banana to the recipe.
Top Review by Lalaloula
YUM, this banana bread is so easy to prepare and soo tasty! The added bonus is that its also quite healthy, which I loved. I made this for breakfast using half the recipe and got 6 nicely sized muffins from it that baked in 30 minutes. I think the marble looks very pretty and also adds a little something special to the bread. Adding some cinnamon or vanilla would probably also be good, but this is tasty as is, too. I found I had to add about 4 tbs of liquid to the dough in order to make it the right consistency. My only other change was to skip the sugar due to the banana being plenty sweet.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing a real keeper with us, MexiPie!
Made and reviewed for the Pick A Chef Event Fall 2011.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
- Place sugar and applesauce in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute). Add banana and eggs; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist.
- Place chocolate chips in a medium microwave-safe bowl, and microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until almost melted, stirring until smooth. Cool slightly.
- Add 1 cup batter to chocolate, stirring until well combined. Spoon chocolate batter alternately with plain batter into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Swirl batters together using a knife.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.