Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe from James McNair, which he says is a local Vermont tradition.
- 1 cup unpopped popcorn
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pop the popcorn according to your favourite method and set aside in a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the maple and corn syrups, salt and cream of tartar and mix well.
- Cook, without stirring, until the mixture registers between 234 and 240 F (soft-ball stage) on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from the heat and quickly stir in the baking soda.
- Pour the syrup over the popcorn and stir to coat thoroughly.
- Distribute the popcorn equally between two baking sheets.
- Bake, stirring several times, until dry and crispy, about one hour.
- Cool completely before storing in an air-tight container.