Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 mins
- 1 (9 1/2 inch) graham cracker crust
- 3 tablespoons Amaretto
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold whipping cream
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- pecan halves
- whipped cream
- Refrigerate pie crust until ready to use.
- In a bowl, combine the amaretto and water; sprinkle the gelatin over the liquid and set aside to soften.
- In a saucepan, combine the milk, egg yolks, brown sugar, maple syrup, pumpkin, spices, and salt.
- Place over medium to med-low heat and cook, whisking virtually nonstop, until the mixture thickens somewhat (the change will be subtle) about 8 minutes; do not let the mixture boil.
- Remove from the heat and immediately add the gelatin mixture, stirring well to blend.
- Place the bowl in a larger bowl of ice water and let the filling cool, stirring frequently, until cool to the touch (you may want to add more ice when the first cubes melt.
- Meanwhile, using a chilled bowl and chilled beaters, beat the whipping cream using an electric mixer until stiff but not grainy; cover and refrigerate; wash and dry the beaters.
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites using a mixer until they hold soft peaks; add the sugar and continue to beat until stiff and glossy but not dry.
- Add the whites and about 1/3 of the whipped cream to the chilling.
- Fold gently until evenly combined.
- Add the remaining whipped cream and fold again until evenly mixed.
- Fold in the chopped pecans; scrape the filling into the chilled pie crust, smoothing the top with a spoon.
- Cover with loosely tented foil and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To serve: garnish pie with pecan halves and serve with a dollop of whipped cream.