Recipe by Chef mariajane
Parents looking for new ways to serve fruit to their children might find that these grilled fruit kebabs are just the ticket - and they-re healthy too!!
- 1 cup plain yogurt, preferably thick Balkan-style
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon orange peel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 skewers
- 2 kiwi fruits
- 1 pear
- 1 nectarines or 1 peach
- 1⁄4 cup grapes
- angel food cake (cubed in 1-inch cubes or pound cake in 1-inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak wooden skewer in water for 20 minutes before grilling. Meanwhile, oil grill and prehet to medium-low.
- Stir yogurt with maple syrup, orange peel and vanilla.
- Peel kiwi and cut into large bit-size chunks. Peel pear, if you wish, or leave skin intact. Then cut pear and nectarine into 1-inch wedges. Thread fruit randomly with cake, if using on skewers.
- In a small bowl, stir butter with sugar and cinnamon.
- Place skewers on grill and barbecue, turning frequently, until fruit is hot and cake is grilled, about 4 minutes. Just before removing from grill, brush fruit with butter mixture. Serve with dipping sauce.