Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
My aunt in Vermont always used to make this. Very delicious. Needs to chill in the frig for several hours.
Top Review by Becs
This is an excellent pie. It had a very mild butterscotch taste. The review wasn't helpful because we had enough whipping cream for the whole pie, and we didn't stand over the stove for an hour. It was very easy to make - very delicious also!!
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk, divided
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup real maple syrup, plus
- 1 tablespoon real maple syrup, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 baked 9 inch pie shell
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, mix together 1/4 cup milk and cornstarch.
- Gradually stir in remaining milk, 3/4 cup syrup and salt.
- Over medium heat, cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir 1/4 cup hot mixture into the egg yolks; return all to the saucepan.
- Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter.
- Cool thoroughly, stirring frequently.
- Whip cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold 1 cup into cooled filling; spoon into prepared pie crust.
- Fold remaining syrup into remaining cream; spread on top of pie.
- Chill for several hours.