Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I've been looking for a perfect baked bean recipe...I think I've found it!
- 4 cups dried navy beans
- 10 cups water
- 1 lb sliced bacon, quartered
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter, sofened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- Place beans in soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 inches.
- Bring to boil; boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans; discard liquid.
- Return beans to the pan; add 10 cups water.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup liquid.
- Line the bottom of a 4qt baking dish with bacon.
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, onion, salt and mustard.
- Spoon over bacon.
- Pour syrup over the top.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 3 hours, gently stirring occasionally and adding reserved bean liquid if needed.
- Arrange sliced apples over the top.
- In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar; spread over apples.
- Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until beans are tender.
Fabulous! We are vegetarian, so I used vegetarian bacon, and canned beans, because we were in a hurry. Followed the rest of the recipe as written, using real maple syrup. Highly recommended recipe. Thanks, katie in the UP!
I made this over the weekend and changed it up a little. Not really the ingredients but the way that it was made. I used canned navy beans rather than dried. I cut up the bacon into small pieces and fried it. added the onion until translucent. Then added everything else except the apples. Let this simmer until thickened. Then I added the apples. It was a hit and a lot faster than 6 hours.