Recipe by JanetB-KY
Posting this for ZWT 2006 (Asian region). Mangoes in a muffin... oh my. One of my favorite fruits turned into high carb heaven! YES!!!
Top Review by SusieQusie
After reading other reviews, I see it wasn't just me who was a little bewildered by the outcome of this recipe. Mine took the full 27 minutes to bake even in a convection oven. They rose during baking & fell as soon as they came out. The flavor is very good however the texture is not exactly muffin-like. I'll eat them; I love mango, however I doubt I will try this particluar recipe again. Thanks for posting though!
- 1 1⁄2 cups mangoes (or 1 cup fresh mango and 1 banana)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, as desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit & grease the muffin tins or use paper or foil liners.
- Mash the mango pieces into a soft pulp; if using banana, cut into pieces, mash, and stir in with the mango.
- In a small bowl, use a fork or wire whisk to mix the egg with the vegetable oil and the buttermilk until well blended.
- In a large bowl, mix the baking powder, salt, sugar, and ground allspice with the flour.
- Add the egg, oil, and buttermilk mixture to the flour to form a lumpy batter; do not overmix.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, mashed fruit, and coconut if using then spoon the batter into muffin tins, until they are approximately 2/3 full.
- Bake for 22 - 24 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean; let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.