Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 mins
Posting this for ZWT 2006 (Asian region). Mangoes in a muffin... oh my. One of my favorite fruits turned into high carb heaven! YES!!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups mangoes (or 1 cup fresh mango and 1 banana)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, as desired
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit & grease the muffin tins or use paper or foil liners.
- Mash the mango pieces into a soft pulp; if using banana, cut into pieces, mash, and stir in with the mango.
- In a small bowl, use a fork or wire whisk to mix the egg with the vegetable oil and the buttermilk until well blended.
- In a large bowl, mix the baking powder, salt, sugar, and ground allspice with the flour.
- Add the egg, oil, and buttermilk mixture to the flour to form a lumpy batter; do not overmix.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, mashed fruit, and coconut if using then spoon the batter into muffin tins, until they are approximately 2/3 full.
- Bake for 22 - 24 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean; let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
After reading other reviews, I see it wasn't just me who was a little bewildered by the outcome of this recipe. Mine took the full 27 minutes to bake even in a convection oven. They rose during baking & fell as soon as they came out. The flavor is very good however the texture is not exactly muffin-like. I'll eat them; I love mango, however I doubt I will try this particluar recipe again. Thanks for posting though!
Great flavor, but i found these didn't rise so well or bake completely through. Maybe I will try two teaspoons of baking soda next time around and see if that helps out at all. Other than that, fabulous flavors!! Thanks!
These were pretty good. The mango flavor was very intense which make these muffins extra delcious!! Some of the muffins woudln't bake, they ended up burning before they were done. Also, the muffins sunk during baking?!? Oh well! The muffins were still good! Thanks for the recipe!