Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A soft and tender mango loaf cake given an extra zing with a fresh passion fruit glaze. Easy to make and the ideal crowd-pleaser. It's also perfect with your afternoon tea!
For the cake
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt (only if you're using unsalted butter)
- 1 cup mango pulp
For the glaze
- 3 passion fruit
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- Place the butter and sugar into a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minute on med-high speed.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract, scraping down the sides as necessary, mix on med-high until well incorporated and smooth, around 1 minute.
- Add the cake flour, baking powder and salt if using, mix on low-med until smooth.
- Add in the mango purée/pulp and mix on low-medium until well incorporated, light and smooth.
- Pour the cake batter into the lined loaf tin and level it off with a spatula/wooden spoon.
- Place in the oven for 65-70 minutes until risen, golden and an inserted skewer into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for at least 1 hour before transferring to a wire rack.
- Once cool, make the glaze: Using a medium sized bowl, scrape the insides of the passion fruits into a sieve and use the back of a spoon to separate the juice from the seeds. Place seeds in a separate bowl, you can either discard them or use them as a garnish.
- Add 1/2 cup sifted icing sugar into the passion fruit juice and mix until smooth and glossy.
- Slowly spoon glaze all over the cooled cake and garnish with passion fruit seeds if desired.
- Cake will keep in an airtight container, at room temp, for 3 days.