Recipe by TasteTester
This is a good meal that my kids especially like because of the addition of orange juice and mandarin oranges, and goes very well served over white or jasmine rice.
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
Delicious, healthy and so easy to prepare. Anyone who loves citrus flavours would love this dish, especially if they are also partial to mushrooms. I added 2 cloves of minced garlic and some thyme when cooking the mushrooms and I used orange juice instead of concentrate and water - simply because I never buy concentrate - but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. The mandarin segments tasted just SO wonderful in this dish - all the flavours blended so beautifully - and rice was an ideal accompaniment so that none of the delicious juices were lost. I also loved the inclusion of broccoli. If you were planning on serving some of this later after reheating, it would be best to cook the broccoli fresh each time as it would lose a lot after being reheated. Thank you so much for sharing this delightful recipe TasteTester. Made for PRMR.
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 minced garlic cloves (optional)
- 3 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup undiluted thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 11 ounces canned mandarin orange segments, drained
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place broccoli in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water, and cover. Cook until tender but still firm, about 2-6 minutes, depending on size of florets. Drain, cool and set aside.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Salt and pepper chicken to taste. Saute chicken in butter until browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Saute mushrooms in skillet for 3 minutes; if using garlic, add to pan and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Remove mushrooms (and garlic, if using) from skillet and set aside. Stir in flour, water, orange juice concentrate and seasoning.
- Heat to boiling, stirring. Simmer, stirring for 4 minutes. Return chicken and mushrooms to skillet. Add green onions and broccoli. Heat through. Just before serving, stir mandarin segments in and serve immediately.