Recipe by Cookin' Kelly
This is the gumbo recipe I grew up eating. It is delicious! Not too overpowering. You can add more creole seasoning or hot sauce to kick it up if you prefer.
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs
- 3 green onions
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 lb okra
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes, diced
- 1 dash of tony chacere's creole seasoning
- 5 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a roux with bacon grease and flour. Be careful not to get it too dark. A light brown roux tastes best in my opinion.
- Add onion, celery and bell pepper. Cook on low to soften them up a bit.
- Add okra and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and about 5 cups of water. Cook 40 minutes.
- Add shrimp. Cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- Add green onion tops, and cook 10 minutes.
- Serve over white rice.