Prep 9 hrs
Cook 40 mins
My favorite breakfast dish from my childhood, and still is! My mother would make this for special occasions when we had a lot of family over, for Christmas or Thanksgiving or other holidays. The cream cheese and maple syrup with the french toast are a combination that pleases everyone. Prep it and leave it in the fridge overnight, then bake it in the morning. Just the smell of it will make your whole family smile!
- 1 lb French bread (cubed slices)
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter (melted)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (cubed)
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1. Grease an oven safe, 13.5 x 9" pan with butter.
- 2. Place 1/2 of the bread in the bottom of the pan, then add the cheese, then place the rest of the bread on top.
- 3. Beat eggs in a separate bowl, and add melted butter and maple syrup in the bowl.
- 4. Pour this mixture over the bread, cover with plastic wrap or foil paper and refrigerate it for 8 or 9 hours (overnight is fine).
- 5. Remove from the refrigerator and bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
- 6. Remove from oven and let cool for a couple minutes, then enjoy!