Recipe by Member #610488
This is an outstanding recipe for its simplicity and marvelous flavor. Served at our local Italian restaurant as one of their rotating specialties.
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 ounces prosciutto or 2 ounces thick-cut bacon, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped
- 6 tablespoons fine plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 lb spaghetti
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat half of the butter and oil over medium heat until butter is melted. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 7 minutes. Add prosciutto/bacon and marjoram. Cook, stirring 3 minutes more. Transfer onion mixture to a plate.
- In the same skillet, lightly brown bread crumbs in the remaining butter and add onion mixture stirring to combine. Remove from heat, and cover to keep warm.
- At the same time you are cooking the sauce, bring a large saucepan of salted water to boil. Add spaghetti and cook to al dente then drain. Transfer spaghetti to skillet with onion mixture, toss to combine, and season with salt and pepper to taste.