Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
'This recipe was created by Faye Al-Salahuddin the past owner of Nile Valley restaurant in Oakland California." It is delicious and full of flavor! (For a kosher or halal dish do not add shrimp)
- 3 bunches mustard greens
- 3 bunches turnip greens
- 4 links turkey sausage (hot if you like) or 4 beef sausages, chopped (hot if you like)
- 2 chopped boneless chicken breasts
- 2 chopped boneless chicken thighs
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 2 cups prawns
- 3 tilapia fillets, chopped
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 whole onion
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups jasmine rice (prepare rice first) or 2 cups basmati rice (prepare rice first)
- Fill sink with cold water.
- Tear greens into pieces, throwing away thick veins and stems.
- Put ¼ cup of salt in the water to help clean greens, and let greens soak for 20 minutes.
- While greens soak place chicken pieces, chopped onions, and sausage in the 6 qt stock pot and sauté for 15 minutes to brown. Turn your pot down to low.
- Next: rinse off greens 3 times to make sure all dirt has been removed.
- Place greens in stock pot and pour 3 cups of warm water on top. Place the lid of the stock pot back on the pot and cook until the greens are tender and the chicken is cooked all the way through. If more water is needed to the greens add sparingly.
- Next add 2 teaspoons of seasoning salt, onion powder,garlic powder, and jalapeño pepper to the greens.
- Add fish filets and prawns to the greens and stir in gently, but keep a few prawns and fish pieces to garnish the top of the greens. Let greens stand for 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice!