Recipe by puppitypup
Perfect for company, especially Christmas morning! You can add any vegetables you like, but don't add the colorful ones until the last minute. I did that once with the green onion and wound up with green eggs! It's best made with evaporated milk, but you can use milk instead if needed.
- 1 sweet onion
- 1⁄2 bell pepper (red or orange)
- 12 -16 ounces reduced-fat pork sausage
- 6 slices French bread
- 6 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can evaporated milk
- about 1/4 c milk (evaporated milk plus milk should equal 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced baby bella mixed mushrooms
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 ounce cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Up to 2 days beforehand:.
- Fry onion, bell pepper and sausage, drain. Put in ziplock bag in fridge.
- Cube bread and leave out uncovered to dry out.
- Whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper and baking powder. Store in separate ziplock bag in fridge.
- Chop green onions and keep in separate small baggie in fridge.
- That morning:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x9 3" deep casserole dish. (If doubling the recipe, use an 11x11 4" deep casserole dish.).
- Place bread over bottom, then sausage mixture, then mushrooms, then cheese, then egg mixture. Don't add green onions yet.
- Depending on the size of your bread and veggies, you might need to whisk up a few more eggs and milk to add to the casserole. The egg mixture should come close to covering the other ingredients.
- Bake 30 minutes, add green onion and stir, top with remaining cheese, then bake an additional 15 minutes, or until eggs are set.
- Remove from oven and let set about five minutes so casserole will firm up a bit.