Recipe by Caroline Cooks
This can be made ahead, refrigerate and pop into the oven for a wonderful comfort meal. Serve with steamed broccoli and French bread for an easy weekday. Adapted from One dish Meals. Prep time does not include refrigeration.
Top Review by Derf
Very much a custard type of tuna casserole, not sure what I did but it turned out a little watery, I may have not used enough tuna for the amount of soup, eggs and milk. It did have nice colour with the pimentoes and cheese.
- 2 cups large herb & garlic-flavored croutons
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, shredded (Swiss, Cheddar, Monterey Jack or combo of any)
- 1 (7 ounce) envelope albacore tuna
- 3 tablespoons pimentos, drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 4 mushrooms, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In bottom of lightly greased 9" baking dish, arrange croutons.
- In medium bowl, beat milk, soup, and eggs; stir in cheeses, pimentoes, and tuna.
- In small skillet, melt butter; add onions and mushrooms; saute until softened.
- Spoon veggies over croutons; spread egg-tuna mixture over top.
- Cover with foil; refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours.
- Remove for refrigerator one hour before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and bake 35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Remove foil and bake to golden brown top.
- (May use broiler, if desired.).