Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This can be made ahead, refrigerate and pop into the oven for a wonderful comfort meal. Serve with steamed broccoli and French bread for an easy weekday. Adapted from One dish Meals. Prep time does not include refrigeration.
- 2 cups large herb & garlic-flavored croutons
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, shredded (Swiss, Cheddar, Monterey Jack or combo of any)
- 1 (7 ounce) envelope albacore tuna
- 3 tablespoons pimentos, drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 4 mushrooms, sliced
- In bottom of lightly greased 9" baking dish, arrange croutons.
- In medium bowl, beat milk, soup, and eggs; stir in cheeses, pimentoes, and tuna.
- In small skillet, melt butter; add onions and mushrooms; saute until softened.
- Spoon veggies over croutons; spread egg-tuna mixture over top.
- Cover with foil; refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours.
- Remove for refrigerator one hour before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and bake 35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Remove foil and bake to golden brown top.
- (May use broiler, if desired.).
Very much a custard type of tuna casserole, not sure what I did but it turned out a little watery, I may have not used enough tuna for the amount of soup, eggs and milk. It did have nice colour with the pimentoes and cheese.