Recipe by Ridgely
This recipe comes from Cook's Illustrated "The Best Make-Ahead Recipe" Book. This was absolutely the best mashed potatoes I have ever made and the family all agreed. Rich and silky, easy, easy! Anyone who has used a Cook's Illustrated recipe knows that they go into great detail on how they come up with a recipe. There is no room here for their explanation of their cooking methods, but just trust me, this is a must have recipe. Purchasing this cookbook has been so worth it, everything I have tried so far is great!
- 5 lbs russet baking potatoes, scrubbed and poked (about 9 medium)
- 3 cups heavy cream, hot
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Microwave the potatoes on high power for 16 minutes(stacking them if you have to), turning them over halfway through the cooking time. Transfer the potatoes to the oven and place them directly on the hot oven rack. Bake until a skewer glides easily through flesh, about 30 minutes, flipping them over halfway through the baking time.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, and cut each potato in half lengthwise. Using an oven mitt or a folded kitchen towel to hold the hot potatoes, scoop out all of the flesh from each potato half into a medium bowl. Break the cooked potato flesh down into small pieces using a fork.
- Transfer half of the potatoes to the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat the potatoes on high speed until smooth, about 30 seconds, gradually adding the rest of the potatoes to incorporate, until completely smooth and no lumps remain, 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Remove the bowl from mixer and gently fold in two cups of the cream followed by the butter and 2 t. salt. Gently fold in up to ½ cup more of the cream as needed to reach desired consistency. Once the desired serving consistency is reached, gently fold in an additional ½ cup cream (the potatoes will be quite loose-to keep them from drying out).
- To Store: Transfer the mashed potatoes to a large microwave safe bowl and tightly cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- To Serve: Poke lots of holes in the plastic wrap with the tip pf a knife and microwave at medium high (75%) power until the potatoes are hot, about 14 minutes, stirring gently halfway through reheating time.