This is a great breakfast or brunch dish that you can prepare the night before and pop into the oven the next morning. I love this dish because it allows you to socialize with your guests in the morning rather than spending that time cooking. I've served this on Christmas morning, as a brunch item, and I've even taken it into work for potlucks. If you forget or don't have time the night before, that's o.k. you can prepare this and cook immediately also.
- Trim crusts from bread.
- Spray a rectangular 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange 6 slices of bread in the dish.
- Layer ham, cheese and onions on top of the bread.
- Cut remaining bread slices diagonally into halves. Place along the outer rim of the dish, points facing inward.
- Beat milk, mustard, pepper sauce and eggs until smooth; pour evenly over bread. Sprinkle with paprika.
- You can either bake immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 300 degrees. Bake uncovered for about 60 to 70 minutes, until center is set and bread is golden brown.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.