My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 25 green mangoes (firm, just turning yellow)
- 3 lbs brown sugar
- 2 small hot onions, chopped fine
- 5 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1/4 cup fresh green gingerroot (small chunks)
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- 1/2 cup raisins, seeded
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons allspice berries
- 4 1/2 cups wine vinegar, or more
- 1 tablespoon dried small red chilies
- 2 tablespoons preserved gingerroot
- 1/2 cup almonds, slivered
- 1/2 cup dried currant
- 1Peel the mangoes and cut them into i/2 -inch segments.
- 2Sprinkle well with the coarse salt and let stand overnight. Wash off the salt in the morning.
- 3Boil the green gingerroot in water for 30 minutes, then drain.
- 4Tie the spices in a muslin bag large enough to allow swelling.
- 5Put the vinegar in a heavy kettle and add the spice bag, sugar and drained gingerroot. Simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- 6Add the onions, garlic, raisins, currants and chilies.
- 7Add half of the mangoes and simmer for 2 hours, stirring and watching carefully.
- 8Add the almonds and preserved gingerroot and the rest of the mangoes.
- 9Simmer for another 2 hours, or until the mixture is as thick as jam.
- 10Remove the spice bag.
- 11Arrange the fruit and other ingredients in a tasteful manner in hot sterilized jars, with almonds and raisins showing through the glass.
- 13Stand in a cool place for several weeks before using.
- 14This chutney can be kept for years.
Browse Our Top Chutneys Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Major Greys Army Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (10695 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 9428.5
- Calories from Fat 468
- Total Fat 52.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 35777.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2351.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 112.3 g
- Sugars 2178.3 g
- Protein 49.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: