Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 25 green mangoes (firm, just turning yellow)
- 3 lbs brown sugar
- 2 small hot onions, chopped fine
- 5 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh green gingerroot (small chunks)
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, seeded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons allspice berries
- 4 1⁄2 cups wine vinegar, or more
- 1 tablespoon dried small red chilies
- 2 tablespoons preserved gingerroot
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, slivered
- 1⁄2 cup dried currant
- Peel the mangoes and cut them into i/2 -inch segments.
- Sprinkle well with the coarse salt and let stand overnight. Wash off the salt in the morning.
- Boil the green gingerroot in water for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Tie the spices in a muslin bag large enough to allow swelling.
- Put the vinegar in a heavy kettle and add the spice bag, sugar and drained gingerroot. Simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the onions, garlic, raisins, currants and chilies.
- Add half of the mangoes and simmer for 2 hours, stirring and watching carefully.
- Add the almonds and preserved gingerroot and the rest of the mangoes.
- Simmer for another 2 hours, or until the mixture is as thick as jam.
- Remove the spice bag.
- Arrange the fruit and other ingredients in a tasteful manner in hot sterilized jars, with almonds and raisins showing through the glass.
- Stand in a cool place for several weeks before using.
- This chutney can be kept for years.