Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
Good size meatballs wrapped in crisp bacon with a distinctive sour cream and tomato sauce.
Top Review by Kay D.
I cut this recipe in half; since my husband and I were the only ones eating it. I got 12 of the largest meatballs I've ever seen. I baked these in a glass baking dish, but next time, I'm going to space them apart on a baking sheet, as some of the bacon never crisped up very well. I added 2 cloves of chopped garlic, and made the oregano a heaping tablespoon. I liked the sauce. Sometimes I find tomato sauce a little too acidic, and this smoothed it out nicely.
- 4 lbs ground beef
- 4 cups canned tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups fine breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 24 slices bacon
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the beef and 2 cups of tomatoes, bread crumbs, eggs, salt, pepper, oregano, and onion. Form into 24 good size meatballs. wrap each meatball with a bacon slice overlapping bacon carefully.
- Place the meatballs in a large flat baking dish so that the over lapping bacon is on bottom.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp.
- Remove from oven and pour off the fat.
- Combine the sour cream and the remaining 2 cups of tomatoes.
- Pour over the meatballs and return to the oven. Turn off the heat. Serve with rice once the sauce is hot.