When i was a little girl we made this at church one evening. I was so excited to try it out, and it really works!
- 1 cup oatmeal (generic works just fine)
- 1 cup wild bird seed
- 1⁄2 cup glitter (any color)
- We mixed it all together in a gallon sized freezer bag.
- Pour into baby food jars (all the way to the top) and take them home.
- Then on Christmas eve, just as the sun started to go down, we take it outside and sprinkle in the front yard.
- Make sure to sprinkle it all. (I suppose the more you use the prettier it would be when the moon light hits it, but it sure was pretty on top of the snow!).
- (Merry Christmas).
Dgd and Dgs helped me mix this recipe together. We doubled the batch and took to our family Christmas party last week, passing it out to the rest of the kids in the family. We have freshly fallen snow today, so this was the perfect year for the kids to try it. They were all very excited today and could barely wait for sundown to run out and sprinkle the magic food in the snow. Thanks so much Sunny for a fun recipe!
This is the third year we have made this with the grandkids - sorry it took so long to review! They think it is the coolest thing ever - what more do you need?
My kids and I just made this tonight and they absolutely had a blast! This is so colorful and so easy to make and the kids just love the fact that they can feed the magical reindeer so they can fly. Thank you so much for the beginning of a wonderful family tradition!