Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Julie Backus' "Italian Cooking"
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, verza
- 1 head cabbage, Tuscan cavolo nero
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 10 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large potatoes
- 3 zucchini
- 500 g beans, soaked 24 hours
- 300 g canned tomatoes
- 5 slices bread, stale and Tuscan
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Saute carrots, celery, onion, thyme, and olive oil in a large soup pot.
- After 3 minutes add cabbage.
- Cook until cabbage has reduced in volume by 50%.
- Add tomatoes, 3/4 liter of water, salt, and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add zucchini and potatoes.
- Cover and simmer for an hour.
- Add the beans (1/2 should be mashed).
- Cook for another 45 minutes.
- Pour into soup bowl with 5 to 6 slices of thick bread slices.