Recipe by Maggie, Cooking
I threw this together on a warm night when I didn't feel like cooking and wanted something cool and healthy but also filling. I was amazed at how low calorie this turned out and also how much I enjoyed it. I hope you do, too! You can easily substitute the pitas with tortillas to make these more like wraps, and there's plenty of flexibility to add or subtract ingredients (like maybe red onion or fresh basil for example - warmed up with a little feta cheese melted inside is not at all bad, either, I've learned). With the 4 servings, each serving will either stuff a half of a pita super full or be just enough for 1 whole pita cut in two filled not quite so full. Your choice.
Top Review by ceruleanseven
This was a delicious, light dinner, just as you promised! I did add feta cheese, and my husband had red onion in his (and said it rounded out the sandwich perfectly). Next time, I think I'll cut up the cilantro a bit more, but no other changes! Thanks for posting.
- 1 (12 1/2 ounce) can chunk chicken, drained (reserve liquid if desired for future use as broth)
- 10 sprigs cilantro, chopped (to taste)
- 1⁄2 medium lime, juice of
- 1⁄4 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 -8 pita pockets (whole wheat if you can find them)