Recipe by Moe Martin
I'm happy to supply the following recipe. I attended a party about 25 years ago and these meatballs were served. The hostess was gracious enough to give me the recipe. I've been enjoying them ever since. Maestro Meatballs Make the Heart Sing
Top Review by Donna
Wow, this will be my new favorite meatball recipe. I loved the hint of the wine and creamy thick gravy. Thanks so much for posting it. I took it to work for a potluck and everyone enjoyed them.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs lean beef, ground
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 strips bacon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 1⁄2 cup cooking sherry or 1⁄2 cup Burgundy wine or 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- to taste flour (for dredging)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine beef, egg, garlic, onion, oregano, paprika, salt, breadcrumbs, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix very well and shape into balls about 1.5" (4mm) in diameter and dredge in flour.
- Cook bacon in a large frying pan until crisp.
- Remove, chop, and set aside. To the fat in the pan, add sufficient butter to be able to brown all the meatballs.
- Brown and turn meatballs until all are seared and golden.
- Now add coffee, wine or apple juice, water, salt, and sugar.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Return bacon to the pan.
- Mix flour and 1/4 cup water into a smooth paste and carefully stir in until thickened.
- Reduce heat as low as possible for another five minutes.
- Serve immediately with hot rice. Hope you enjoy them!