Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
Top Review by P.B.&Jayne
I make a recipe just like this one. It is one of my very favorite foods of all time. I love sweet hot foods and Madame's Orange Peel Beef is the reason I first found that out. You can't pass this up if you like sweet/hot. I highly recommend it. The Chinese restaurant I usually get this at also has quite a bit of stir fried green onion in it. Try little bites of the peppers until you decide how much heat you like.
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 -4 cups oil (for deep frying)
- 10 dried red chili peppers (depending on your heat preference)
- 1⁄4 cup dried orange peel or 1⁄4 cup tangerine peel
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sauce ingredients. Set aside. Cut beef into thick slices and pound until 3/8 inch thick. Marinate in soy sauce and sugar 10 minutes. Add egg and flour, mix with hand.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Slide beef into oil piece by piece to prevent sticking together. Fry until crispy. Remove. Fry again. Drain. Remove.
- Reheat 2 tablespoons oil in wok. Stir fry chili peppers and orange peel until "black". Add sauce. Bring to boil. Thicken with dissolved cornstarch. Add beef. Stir-fry 1 minute more. Remove peppers prior to serving. Close your windows, eat and moan.