Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
A Malagasy traditional dish, a pot over the fire with only leafy vegetables. It varies greatly throughout the country. Ro=soup Mazava=Clear. If there is meat, it is of lower quality and small quantity, meat being a big luxury for the Malagasy. If the meat is Zebu, one is to add a small tip of the bump. This recipe has meat, beef, so by some would not be traditional. Chicken, fish or shrimp can be used. The author thought Zebu is best. I will try to keep the tone of the author of this recipe. Fruit is sufficient for dessert. I served this to our missionaries, the girls had grown up in Madagascar. I was so happy when one of the girls, as she went back for 2nds, told me it tasted like home made!
- 6 1⁄2 lbs meat (if beef with fat, if zebu add small tip of the bump)
- 2 1⁄4 lbs greens (Anamalaho, Acmella oleracea - 2 big boots)
- 2 1⁄4 lbs malabar spinach (anamamy, malabar spinach, again 2 big boots)
- 2 1⁄4 lbs greens (anadrano, cress)
- 5 tomatoes
- 2 1⁄4 lbs onions
- 1 gingerroot
- 2 bell peppers, big and hot
- 1 green pepper, cool
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons pan drippings (duck or goose are called for.....wing it)
- Arm yourselves with patience to sort out the greens. Only use the leaves, remove all branches. It is good to wash them. Pay attention to how many flowers are included. 50 to 60 are sufficient, throw the rest and branches to the ducks or rabbits.
- Wash the meat. Cut to 8 inch pieces.
- Shred the onions.
- Peel the ginger and cut in small pieces.
- Peel the garlic and cut in pieces.
- Cut the tomatoes in dice.
- In a large pot (3+ gallons) heat the grease. Throw in the onions. Add ginger, tomatoes, green pepper, salt and pepper. Let cook 10 minutes.
- Add 1.5 gallons of water and bring to a boil on a big fire, covered pot.
- When it boils to soup, introduce the greens.
- If the greens won't go in, add some and as the volume decreases add more.
- Let it boil about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- It is ready.
- Serve with a great deal of cooked rice. Drown the rice under the soup and leaves.