Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Just a basic macaroon bar, but with several variations. At Christmas time these are very nice to wrap individually and tuck into a gift basket. They aren't crumbly and stay moist for a long time.
- 3 3⁄4 cups sweetened coconut
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
additions of your choice
- 1 cup chocolate chips or 1 cup candied cherries or 1 cup chopped maraschino cherries or 1 cup mixed candied fruit or 1 cup toffee pieces or 1 cup miniature M&M baking bits
- Heat oven to 350*.
- Line a 9x9 pan with parchment and lightly grease the parchment.
- STIR together (don't use a mixer) first 4 ingredients, and add egg whites, whole egg and extract. Mix til well blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan, and bake for 35 minutes or til lightly golden. Cool completely and then allow to sit overnight before cutting.