Recipe by Lvs2Cook
A cake with the flavor of macaroons. The recipe comes from Southern Living Christmas Cookbook.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour, divided
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract, divided
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 2⁄3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut into pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat 3/4 cup butter with mixer until it is creamy. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar. Add eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Mix 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat after each addition. Stir in coconut extract and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.
- Spoon half of the batter into a greased 9 inch pan.
- Combine well the coconut, condensed milk, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract. Spread over the batter in the pan. Spread remaining cake batter over the top of the filling.
- Mix almonds, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/3 cup flour. Cut in 1/4 cup butter until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle topping over batter in the pan.
- Bake at 350º for 45 minutes or until a pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack and cut in squares when cool.