Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Pre-freeze the macaroon candies before baking and they will retain their shape through baking.
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups plus 3 tablespoons cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 36 macaroon decorative candies, 145g box Neilson macaroon candies, freeze first to harden and retain their shape during baking
- 1⁄2 cup flaked brazil nuts, lightly toasted or 1⁄2 cup medium unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cream together brown and white sugar, margarine and vanilla and maple extracts.
- Beat in egg.
- Sift in flour, baking powder and soda and salt until combined.
- Stir in flaked brazil nuts (or coconut).
- Drop dough by scant round tablespoonfuls onto sprayed SHINY baking sheet.
- Press a macaroon candy into the centre of each tablespoonful of dough.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Freeze really well.