Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
An easy, delicious variation of macaroni and cheese, suitable for an evening when you don't have much time to cook but want something tasty and nourishing.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (I use Kraft Tex-Mex Blend for extra flavour)
- 7 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup fine breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the macaroni.
- Combine the olive oil and butter in a small frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and celery and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- While sauteing the vegetables, add the macaroni to the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Combine the soup and the milk in the pot where you cooked the macaroni.
- Stir in the sauteed vegetables and two cups of the cheese and stir until the cheese melts.
- Add the macaroni and tomatoes.
- Pour into a large oven-safe casserole dish and sprinkle the top with the bread crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Broil until the top is brown and bubbly, about 5 minutes.