Recipe by Irmgard
An easy, delicious variation of macaroni and cheese, suitable for an evening when you don't have much time to cook but want something tasty and nourishing.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (I use Kraft Tex-Mex Blend for extra flavour)
- 7 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup fine breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the macaroni.
- Combine the olive oil and butter in a small frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and celery and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- While sauteing the vegetables, add the macaroni to the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Combine the soup and the milk in the pot where you cooked the macaroni.
- Stir in the sauteed vegetables and two cups of the cheese and stir until the cheese melts.
- Add the macaroni and tomatoes.
- Pour into a large oven-safe casserole dish and sprinkle the top with the bread crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Broil until the top is brown and bubbly, about 5 minutes.