Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Two great tastes that taste great together!
- 2 cups macaroni (one box)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 4 tablespoons sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon 1% low-fat milk (yes, you need an extra tablespoon in addition to the 1.5 cups)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Season-All salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3 dashes garlic powder
- 3 dashes turmeric
- 3⁄4 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄4 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 dashes Season-All salt
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Boil about 2 quarts of salted water in a pot, and cook the macaroni for 4 minutes. Add the frozen broccoli and cook for another 5 minutes.
- If you're like me and get absentminded of what's in your freezer and how long it's been in there thus your broccoli is REALLY freezer-burnt, throw it in the pot when you put the macaroni inches Make sure it's a big enough pot.
- When they're all done cooking, remove and drain the macaroni and broccoli. Put them into a 2.5-quart baking dish, mixing well.
- Pour the milk into the pot and let it come to a low boil. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- While waiting for the milk to heat up, combine the sour cream, tablespoon of milk, flour, and spices in another bowl to make a paste.
- Add this paste to the boiled milk, and stir thoroughly.
- When the mixture becomes thick, add 3/4 cup of cheese and it should melt on impact. Stir again to fully incorporate the cheese.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni and broccoli, blending well. Top evenly with the 1 1/4 cups cheese.
- For the panko topping, melt the butter in a frying pan or saucepan and toss with the panko flakes until nice and toasty. Put over the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Delicious. Made as directed and wouldn't change a thing. Thanks, the80srule! Made for Spring 2010 PAC.