Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a nice brunch casserole.
- 1 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled,seeded,and chopped
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- Prepare a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large saucepen, melt the butter over medium heat; add in the flour, and salt and pepper to taste; whisk until smooth for 1 minute.
- Gradually add in the milk; whisk constantly and cook until bubbly and thickened.
- Add in the onion, cheese, and oregano; stir until the cheese is melted, then take pan off burner.
- Add a small amount of the hot cheese mixture to the eggs, whisking constantly; then whisk the eggs back into the cheese mixture until well blended.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the macaroni and cheese sauce until well blended; transfer into the prepared casserole dish.
- Place tomatoes evenly over the top.
- Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes or until the top of the souffle is firm but still moist.