Recipe by JenSmith
This is one of my favorite ways to make mac&cheese! It's really easy to make, and I've never had any problems with this recipe. If you want a creamier version, stir in some sour cream or plain yogurt after it is done cooking. From Southern Living, March 1986.
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, omitting salt.
- Drain and set aside. *NOTE: Do NOT be tempted to skip this step! Trust me, I've done it so I should know!
- Saute onion in butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk and wine.
- cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat; add salt, pepper, and Cheddar cheese.
- Stir until cheese melts.
- Add macaroni; mix well.
- Pour into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 350F for 15 minutes; uncover and continue baking another 15 minutes.