Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a different Macaroni and Cheese recipe. Some of the recipe can be made 1 day ahead. Great for pot luck. The recipe comes from Bon Appetit.
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, made from crustless french bread
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated asiago cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups grated white cheddar cheese (about 1 pound)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lb macaroni
- Mix bread crumbs, Asiago cheese, and paprika in a medium bowl.
- Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir 3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in milk, then mustard and pepper.
- Cook until thickened, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in cheese and parsley.
- Cool sauce slightly.
- (Topping and sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately and refrigerate. Rewarm sauce, stirring frequently and thinning with milk if necessary, before continuing). Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Butter 15 x 10 x 2-inch Glass baking dish.
- Cook Macaroni in pot of boiling salted water until just tender BUT still firm to bite, stirring occasionally.
- Drain Macaroni.
- Return macaroni to pot; mix in sauce.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Transfer mixture to prepared dish.
- Sprinkle with topping and dot with remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake until cheese is bubbling and crumbs are brown, about 40 minutes.
- Cool slightly and serve.
Awesome mac and cheese recipe. I few minor changes that I don't feel affected the original integrity of the recipe. We can only get orangey cheddar here so I used 2 cups of that with 2 cups of grated swiss and 1/2 cup of parmesan - delicious! The bechamel/cheese sauce gave the mac a good creamy coating. The crumb topping is what sends this dish over the top - great stuff and so easy. Kids loved it and that, alone, sends it right into the keeper file! Thanks Barb.