Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This chowder with home-made bread is all I need to feel comforted after a hectic day. I sometimes add crumbled bacon for a hint of smokiness
- 1 cup uncooked macaroni (I use elbow)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded American cheese (I use pepper jack also)
- Cook macaroni according to directions, Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter, add onion, carrots and celery.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until vegetables are crisp tender (3-5 minutes).
- Stir in flour, mustard and salt, Continue cooking until bubbly (about 1 minute).
- Stir in milk and broth.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a full boil (8-12 minutes) Boil 1 minute.
- Stir in macaroni and then cheese, continue stirring occasionally until cheese melts (1-2 minutes).
My guys really like this soup. I have made it several times with whatever cheese I want to use up. Thanks for sharing!