Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from another recipe I really like and have made some tweaks to.
- 453.59 g pasta, cooked (any kind, I like to use shells)
- 236.59 ml butter
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 118.29 ml flour
- 828.06 ml milk
- 226.79 g Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 226.79 g cheese, grated (any kind, I usually use mild cheddar)
- 226.79-283.49 g panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a pan cook 1/2 cup of butter, salt, pepper and flour and stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat add milk, return to heat and bring to a boil.
- Boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add cheese, stir until melted.
- Pour over pasta and stir.
- Melt the additional 1/2 cup of butter, stir in the breadcrumbs and cover the top of the pasta mix.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Oh wow! I wouldn't make this very often, because it's pretty awful for me nutritionally, but it's soooo good! Very Paula Deen-esque, full of butter and cheese. Loved the thick cheese sauce, and the ratio of sauce to pasta. In fact, baking it with the buttered panko is pretty much just gilding the lily. Don't get me wrong, it's delicious topped and baked, but I would've been just as happy eating the pasta and sauce as-is. I used some Cabot 3-year cheddar for the shredded cheese, and I went with the lesser amount of panko (I suspect that it would be equally good with only half of that, too). Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2012