Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Mac and Cheese from scratch.
- 1⁄2 lb macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned croutons, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil macaroni and drain.
- Stir in butter and egg.
- Mix mustard and salt with hot water.
- Add to macaroni.
- Add cheese leaving enough to sprinkle on top.
- Pour into 8 inch square buttered casserole dish.
- Add milk.
- Sprinkle with cheese and croutons.
- Bake for45 minutes or until the custard is set and the top is crusty.
This was really yummy and easy to make. I didn't have any dry mustard so I used approx 1 1/2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard, I had to half the recipe, however still used a whole egg. Thanks for sharing your recipe.