Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Make and share this Macadamia and Ginger Panforte recipe from Food.com.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, mixed spice, pepper and cinnamon into a large bowl. Stir in ginger and nuts, make a well in the centre.
- Warm the syrup in a saucepan over a low heat. Sprinkle in castor sugar and stir continuously until sugar has dissolved.
- Add vanilla essence and bring to the boil.
- Once the mixture is boiling remove it from the heat and allow the bubbles to subside.
- Pour the liquid into the well in the dry ingredients and mix with a sturdy wooden spoon until incorporated. The mixture become quite hard to mix.
- Press the dough into a well-greased 23cm spring-form cake tin lined with baking paper and press down firmly with your hands.
- If your hands get sticky, wet them slightly.
- Bake at 170 C for 30 minutes. The centre will be soft and the edges firm.
- Cool in tin for at least 30 minutes before turning out on to a cake rack. Cool thoroughly. If possible, keep the panforte in an airtight container 2 - 3 days.
- Serve dusted with a thick layer of icing sugar and cut into tiny wedges.
- If making small panforte, divide the mixture between four 10cm greased cake tins lined with baking paper. Bake at 170 C for 20 minutes.