Recipe by Cookin'withGas
I've seen OAMC recipes for macaroni and cheese that were geared more for huge crowds...I even saw one once for 200 people! Personally, that's a bit much for my OAMC needs, LOL...Then one day, I'm thumbing through an old issue of Taste of Home magazine from April May 2007 and I found a simple, far more reasonably sized OAMC recipe for macaroni and cheese which I tweaked to lower the fat content slightly...So here it is for safekeeping and future use!
Top Review by AmyZoe
Good stuff. I skipped the bread crumbs (personal preference) and made 1/3 of the recipe, but it was very good. I found this recipe in Taste of Home 2008 Annual Recipes. Thank you for posting!
- 2 (16 ounce) packages elbow macaroni (Ronzoni Whole Wheat pasta)
- 1 (7 ounce) package elbow macaroni (Ronzoni Whole Wheat pasta)
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsalted butter, divided
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt (optional)
- 3 quarts 1% low-fat milk
- 3 lbs low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F; Grease three 13X9 baking pans.
- Cook all the macaroni per package directions and drain.
- While the macaroni cooks, in a large soup kettle melt 1 cup of the butter; then stir in flour and salt until smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk and slowly bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened.
- Reduce heat and add the cheese, stirring until melted; stir well-drained macaroni into sauce.
- Divide the mixture equally among the 3 greased baking pans; melt the remaining butter and mix with the bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle the buttered bread crumbs equally over the top of the macaroni and cheese mixture in the 3 baking pans.
- Bake, uncovered in the preheated oven for approximately 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- NOTE: this needn't be limited to macaroni; use rotini or penne rigati.