Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Maamoul is a centuries old middle eastern pastry, usually served at special occasions such as weddings and religious holidays, but could be enjoyed the whole year round. It has a melt-in-the-mouth shell and a variety of fillings of dates or nuts, such as walnuts, pistachios or almonds. Maamoul is flavoured by Orange Blossom water, which gives it its wonderful distinct taste. Orange Blossom water can be found in middle eastern shops, health stores and most major supermarkets.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened and cut into cubes
- 1 cup powdered sugar or 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons orange blossom water
- 4 -5 tablespoons milk
- powdered sugar or confectioners' sugar, to sprinkle on
- 2 cups pistachios, walnuts or 2 cups almonds
- 4 -5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 -3 orange blossom water
- 2 cups pitted dates
- Prepare the filling.
- For the nuts filling, finely chop the nuts and add sugar and enough orange-blossom water to moisten and hold the nuts together. If you're using walnuts, reduce the amount of the water to 1 tablespoon.
- For the dates filling, place the pitted dates in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, take out and immediately mash with a fork to form a paste. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a mixer or by hand mix the flour, sugar and butter. Add the water and milk just enough for the dough to hold together.
- Let rest for 30 minutes as this makes the dough easier to handle.
- Form the cookies.
- Take a walnut size lump of dough.
- Roll it into a ball and hollow it out with your thumb. Pinch the sides up to make a pot shape.
- Fill the hole three-quarters full with the filling.
- Bring the dough up over the opening to close into a ball. Flatten slightly.
- Slightly decorate the tops with tweezers or a fork, (this will help the confectioners' sugar to cling after they are baked.
- Place cookies on parchment paper and cook in a pre-heated 325 F oven for 20-25 minutes. Cookies should not become brown as this will affect the taste.
- While warm, dust the cookies with confectioners' or powered sugar.
It,s me Nadia again, i apologize for forgeting to add on my review, that i also used about one teaspoon yeast, but, you have to disolve it with 1 teaspoon sugar & very little of barely warm water. Then you have to wait for about 15 min, or till it gets foamy. Then you mix it the the maamoul mix right before you shape it & baking. sorry!!!!