Rooz Ma Lahem (Rice With Meat)
photo by Sackville
- Ready In:
- 5 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄2 1/2 lb ground lamb or 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄3 cup diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- seasoning, are to taste
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt (more if desired) or 1 tablespoon salt (more if desired)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup diced red pepper (for color) (optional)
- Set cooked rice aside.
- In a pot combine onions,chopped garlic,seasonings and ground meat and brown, try to keep the meat from forming large clumps, you want it taco meat in consistency, so keep stirring often.
- Once its almost brown add drained can of chick peas and let meat brown.
- When meat is browned drain any remaining fat from pan and add rice and stir until well blended.
- Enjoy-- (variation to it can be to substitute chick peas for mixed can of mixed veggies).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is terrific and most definitely will be made many times at my house! I used ground turkey and made only a few slight changes -- I only used about 3.5 cups of rice, a whole onion, a half a red bellpepper, increased the cinnamon to about 3/4 teaspoon and I didn't add any garlic powder. Many thanks to you Chef Fifi!
I dont know how to rate this as DH did not like the flavour of this at all! Whereas I loved it and so did DD (toddler). I used less rice for the amount of ground beef. I probably used less chickpeas too and more chopped onion than called for. Along with the allspice I used some of my own Recipe #79179 & sea salt to taste. I did not add garlic powder or red pepper for colour as we don't like peppers much. I will not be making this again. Made for Ramadan Tag.
Thank you, Chef FIFI, for a great keeper recipe! I like to add whatever extra vegetable I have on hand to saute with the onions and meat (shredded carrot is my favorite!). The flavors are superb, and I find myself constantly returning to this recipe for a quick, wholesome meal the whole family loves.
This was delicious. I'd never made anything like this before, and I wasn't sure how the spices would taste together, but my whole family loved it. I will definitely make this again. I added shredded carrots and substituted the chick peas with white beans, because that's what I had in the house. Terrific.
This was such a quick and easy dinner - almost no washing up! I halved the recipe for the two of us, used brown rice + a carrot instead of the capsicum and follwed the seasonings exactly as suggested. Served with greek style yoghurt, this was a delicious, healthy dinner - plus we've got leftovers too as it was so filling! Thanks so much for posing this great recipe!